Tuesday, September 15, 2009

peace tip #9

PEACE TIP #9:
Gain perspectives.


Last night, I witnessed an Indian birthday celebration. Instead of giving birthday spankings, seven people lifted the individual who was born thirty years ago thirty times into the air.

Last month, I came here to Germany to be with Mr. Sparkles. I spent a few of the warmer days running through the woods with bullets firing from a nearby U.S. Army Base. Why do these bullets fly? Some say for democracy. Others say to keep fear in nimble minds and power over structure.

In May, I traveled to Iceland to learn about sustainability. I saw no sign of militia in the country that rests in the Atlantic Ocean as a volcanic island where steam rises from the ground. In 1980, though, a man by the name of John marched through a plasticine tunnel to get through the deep snow in Keflavik. He carried a gun. When I was in Keflavik, I carried a camera.






I keep crawling the web to gain a better understanding of what the peace sign symbolizes. I read about demonic connotations, and I can't help but laugh thinking that it was a screwy PR effort that aimed to prevent disorder over those who resisted power struggles.

Pounce, kitty cat! Or is it a tiger that swats? Meowgrrrpurrr.

1 comment:

  1. Emily, you have matured into a beautiful, intelligent, powerful woman; and I am proud to call you family. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete