Wednesday, September 9, 2009

peace tip #8

PEACE TIP #8:
Be weary to make accusations, but be willing to learn.


If a college-aged female and a college-aged male sleep in the same room together, it should not be assumed that they are copulating. Other circumstances should always be considered. Sleep is a need, and warmth is a comfort humans tend to desire.

I could be confusing the expression "hooking up" with "copulation," but unless the first phrase refers to "taking advantage of the free bed in the house with heat" then I think I am safe to assume. Indeed, in the word "assume" itself an "ass" is before "u" and "me."

I was told once that Spanish men are direct, and I made the assumption that the giver of advice was assuming I was seeking a Spanish male. The more I talk to travelers, the more I hear that the blond color of Justin and my hair and the lightness of our eyes will bring solicitation for hanky-panky and situations that could bring danger and regret.

*

Justin and I have decided that a new life began on June 11. However, there are several fellow travelers I cannot erase from my history.

I met several Icelandic and Finnish volunteers at Solheimer. Selena was among them. Her hair was dark and often twisted above her head. Selena played a hang drum, which hails from Switzerland and makes the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard. Hrannar was a dark-haired male. I assumed he was from Iceland. I do not remember his hair being long, but I do remember he knew much about forestry and fungus. Another girl had dreadlocks. My forgetfulness of her name shames me, and so does the fact that I accidently deleted the picture I took in which the light coming from the window illuminated her face in a way that I found the image to be beautiful.

I never made it to Spain to see Andrea in Malaga, but I did find friends in Reykavik and Amsterdam. I am making a generalization that a select group of travelers are looking for knowledge, life, and/or love while trailing old memories in all parts of the world.

Mel is a an English woman who had short gray hair. She is in her early forties. Mel fancied a particular rum that sailors often drink and was too drunk to write a legible E-mail address for me to keep up with her.

Martina also had and still has short hair, but hers is red. Martina lives in Dusseldorf, Germany, where she keeps and Icelandic horse. I visited her apartment/flat a few weeks ago. She is coming to New York in the mid-October, where perhaps she will meet Justin's gay neighbors in Poughkeepsie so they can direct her about where to find suitable bars in New York City.

Katja is the last personality with short hair who I will mention. The color of her locks is brown. She is from Asheville, North Carolina, and kept a glass ball that reminded me of something I saw in the film The Labyrinth.

At the time I met her, Maddie's hair was curly and dark and reached her shoulders. She is from Perth, Australia, where she works in the city as a graphic designer.

Cassie has mid-length blonde hair, and she attends New York University. I have just discovered that it is very likely I can find her on Facebook if her name is mentioned in footage I shot of a very vibrant conversation that took place in Amsterdam.

Lisa has long dark hair, and she is from Norway. She is very much complimented when you tell her she looks like a gorgeous gypsy. Cassie and I told her about self confidence and how necessary it is.

*

Confidence was granted to me by Madam Duke once, but that is a story in itself...

*

I said goodbye to Lisa in Amsterdam and promised her pictures of our excursions. I blame desperation and and my promise to my friend from Norway for the unofficial use of office equipment to print images from the trip in Amsterdam. I hope the book of small photos arrived to her residence in Norway. Of course, I cannot assume Lisa lives in Norway now, nor can I assume that her hair is still long. I can, however, keep my hair crossed that those assumptions are True.



I have now found Lisa's telephone number in a black notebook, along with her last name, "Saeboe" (The "b" is a letterform that is not familiar to me, but I remember her telling me to pronounce it as "SAH-BOW"). I do not know what time it is in Norway, but I think I will try calling her on Skype.

*

Lisa did not answer, but she knows I am trying to find her again.

No comments:

Post a Comment