Sunday, September 6, 2009

peace tip #6

PEACE TIP #6:
Don't compete.


I only sat as an observer in Bryant-Denny Stadium on a single occasion. When it did happen, I was seven years-old and much shorter than I am now. I told someone once that I just didn't understand that "man-against-man thing" about football. What I can understand is the attraction of fun and folly, though, and how the huge upside-down spaceship* venue makes people come together.

*

Justin is asleep on the terrace. I'm thinking about Alp. Alp isn't a mountain. Alp is from Thailand. She owns a restaurant known as Ruan Thai. Ruan Thai located at 1407 University Boulevard in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The aforementioned address is where Alp deals out the best Thai-style curry I've ever eaten.

Someone who is not Alp opened another Thai restaurant across the street from Ruan Thai. The curry served on the other side of the University Boulevard is not as good in my opinion. I claim this notion without ever tasting food from the competing establishment, but I make it knowing that the other restaurant uses mood lighting and atmosphere to attract customers.

Maybe I have a bias because I worked waiting tables for Alp for a while, but I really don't see a good heart behind a bigger investment on a similar business. Alp has three kids and thousands of mouths to feed. S'not so nice to do it bigger and better and fancier so close to Ruan Thai!

Truthful tongues will taste and tell--the smaller house with the best food will stand longer.




*Andrea Mabry pointed out how the shape of Bryant Denny Stadium resembles what movies and comics have shown to be large crafts for transporting alien beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment