Wednesday, October 21, 2009

peace tip #15

PEACE TIP #15.
Sleep.


College introduced me to constantly expanding thoughts and the inability to sleep. Restlessness is not conducive to an inner calm, that's for sure.

I found out recently that the blood spatter from my fall face-first down the stairs in February may have had something to do with the medication I take to bring slumber. The phrase "MAY CAUSE SEIZURES" was printed right beside a bullet on a prescription information write-up.

I think of Layla Yousefi, whose smiling face remains on my ankle. She is survived by Chris and Lily.

At a friend's advice, I am trying to squelch my belief that I can't sleep without a tablet. With a warm body beside me coaching on deep breathing techniques and beginning the lucidity of dreaming, my mind goes blank, my eyes grow heavy, and my consciousness eventually turns to peaceful black on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment